These BBQ Pork Ribs are absolutely delicious and I serve them with my homemade BBQ Sauce! The ribs are smoked low and slow using the Ziegler and Brown Triple Grill BBQ and the Ziegler and Brown smoke box and Roasting Rack & Tray accessories. You'll keep coming back to this recipe once you see how easy it is to prepare pork ribs the whole family will love!
Total cook time 3 hours
2 racks pork ribs (American style)
Enough olive oil to lightly coat the raw pork ribs
Spray bottle containing 250ml apple juice for spritzing
Apple wood chips for the BBQ Smoker Box
For the BBQ Pork Rib Rub
6 teaspoons ground sweet paprika
4 teaspoons onion powder
4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon salt/pepper
Method for BBQ Pork Rib Rub
Combine all the ingredients for the BBQ Chicken Rib Rub well. You can also double the quantity and store in a jar for 1-2 months to use again another time.
For the BBQ Sauce
1.5 cups ketchup
1 cup light brown sugar
1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup pineapple juice concentrate
1/4 cup water
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 tablespoons molasses
1 tablespoon maple syrup
30 grams butter, diced
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
2 teaspoons dried mustard power
1 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Method for Barbeque Sauce
Add all ingredients into a saucepan and gently simmer over low/medium heat for 15 minutes. Allow to cool and store in glass jar for 2-3 weeks in the fridge.
Method for the Pork Ribs
1. Clean and pat dry raw pork rib racks. Then remove the membrane from the back of the ribs.
2. Generously apply olive oil over both sides of the ribs and coat with the BBQ Pork Rib Rub.
3. Fill the Smoker box with pre-soaked apple chips.
4. Preheat the BBQ to 150c (302f) and set up for indirect low and slow cooking by turning off the centre burner and setting the two outer burners to low. Place the smoker box on top of one of the side grills and then close the lid.
5. Using the Ziegler and Brown Bake & Roast Pack, place unwrapped ribs in the centre of the rack on the tray over the centre burner, bone side down.
6. Allow the ribs to cook low and slow for 2 hours and then remove the smoke box. During the cook spritz with apple juice every 20 minutes.
7. Brush the ribs with BBQ sauce for the final 45 minutes to 1 hour.
8. Wrap each rib rack tightly with foil.
9. Continue to cook the ribs until the internal temperature reaches 204f (95c). Rest for 10 minutes and then enjoy.
- Using the optional Bake & Roast pack (without the diffuser) for this recipe will help shield the heat directly under the ribs.
- Soak the apple wood chips for at least 15 - 30 minutes. Once soaked add the apple chips into the smoker box and the water in the roasting tray. The water will help keep the ribs moist.
- Use the Ziegler and Brown smoker box for the first hour to infuse smoke flavour through the ribs. If you don’t use the smoker box, cook ribs unwrapped for the first hour.